Thursday, March 17, 2005

I'm looking at a table from a book called Marketing Public Health: Strategies to Promote Social Change with the title "Pitfalls to Avoid When Developing Communication Strategies." One of the pitfalls to avoid is "Appealing to noncritical values (e.g.,good health) rather than core values (freedom, autonomy, control, independence)." I wonder if I can find a list somewhere of core values versus non-core values. What makes "good health" not a core value? I want to know because I'm trying to develop this totally manipulative marketing strategy for children's services in libraries that associates libraries with good feelings. Like if you read Fast Food Nation it talks about how MacDonald's associates it's image with weird things like patriotism. Do you think associating libraries with community pride is core enough? Is sharing a core value?

Incidentally,ya know how if you type a search in Google, you get these automatically generated advertisements along with your results? I thought this one was sort of funny:

Great deals on Core Values
Shop on eBay and Save!

No comments: