Monday, February 12, 2007

The moment I became a Cher fan

Around the late 1980's, I saw Diane Sawyer interview Cher on TV. At the time, Cher was in the gossip magazines because she was dating a younger man, Robert Camilletti. I believe Diane Sawyer was already married to Mike Nichols at that point. I didn't know a lot about Cher, but I knew she had experienced a lot in her life, including marriage, motherhood, many different relationships, long-time independence, and career highs and lows. At a certain point in the interview, Diane Sawyer asked some questions about Robert Camilletti. Then, there was this exchange:

Diane Sawyer (bright eyed): So, is he...the One?!

Cher stared at Sawyer wearily for a prolonged moment.

Cher: You know, I really expected more from you.

I don't remember how the rest of the interview went, but Cher earned my deep respect that day. I can't watch Diane Sawyer on TV without thinking of that dumbfuck question. It just doesn't seem right to ask such a thing of an old soul, such as Cher.

No comments: